Monday, May 4, 2009

The Divine Commodity - Introduction

"...the book seeks to energize an alternative vision of faith...we've lost the ability to think an alternative thought. As a result, the imagination has become the critical battleground between the kingdom of God and consumerism, and before we can hope to live differently we must have our minds released from consumerism's grip and captivated again by Christ. As Thomas Kelly contends, before we can live in full obedience to God we must be given a flaming vision of such an existence. This burning image come to us through our intuitive faculties, 'Holy is imagination, the gateway of Reality into our hearts.'" (page 13)

I happen upon this book based on a recommendation of a friend. As I began reading, I have multiple feelings ranging from "Amen!," to "is this guy in my head," to "this asshole has been reading my journal." Here's the thing...the contents of this book are not new to me; in fact they have stewed in my soul for years. However, in my cowardice, and more pointedly lethargy, I have failed to put my personal views out to the greater public to be critiqued and criticized. So the content, while being familiar to me, is only familiar to me (and a few others). Skye Jethani, the author of this book, has put himself out there to be digested, and I might add, done so quiet creatively and masterfully. We, the local church, are incapable of thinking new. So while we try to draw from inspiration from within our withering religious sects, our souls are emaciated.

So I wonder, can people today be a part of a community who aims to authentically follow Christ in character and action? Can we commit to prayer, study and the disciplines? Will our diligence in these endeavors be enough to create this vision of Christ and His Kingdom within us? I hate to damper any momentum, but I highly doubt it. Not because I don't think that we are good people; and not because I don't believe we are desirous of such a vision. But I know that this vision requires a sacrifice and an obedience that I have often talk about, but have never entered. I doubt this vision is capable because I doubt myself, and quite frankly I doubt you too.

But once again I will say "yes" once again, I will aim to capture this vision, and even believe in the accountability of community. However, in the back of my mind, when it starts to get hard, I expect it will fail.

This book is good because it gives language to this vision, but does not embody it. No book can do this, they only can make suggestions. It takes flesh and blood, hope and fear, to embody this kind of vision. And yes I am game to create biblical community version 157 if you are...but I wonder if cowards like us are capable.

1 comment: